Annual award honors female scholars in the disciplines of Science, Technology, Engineering, Math, Manufacturing and Design with $150,000 grant and 3 years of mentorship
Deadline for applications is Oct. 3, 2019
(New Brunswick, N.J. – August 22) | Johnson & Johnson today announced its global call for nominations for its 2020 Women in STEM2D (WiSTEM2D) Scholars Award. Each year, these STEM2D grants are given to assistant or associate academic professors worldwide, in the disciplines of Science, Technology, Engineering, Math, Manufacturing and Design. Each recipient will receive $150,000 — $50,00 each year for three years — and three years of mentorship from leaders at Johnson & Johnson. The deadline for applications is Oct. 3, 2019 at 9 a.m. HST, and guidelines and additional details are available here: https://www.jnj.com/wistem2d-university-scholars.
Launched in June 2017, the Johnson & Johnson WiSTEM2D Scholars Award aspires to fuel development of female STEM2D leaders, and inspire career paths in STEM2D, by supporting the research of the awarded women in their respective STEM2D fields.
An independent External Advisory Board will select the 2020 winners, each of whom will represent one of the STEM2D disciplines. Last year, more than 400 highly qualified applicants from across the world applied for the award.
“Johnson & Johnson is supporting and establishing the next generation of female leaders and global innovators in order to increase the participation of women in STEM2D fields worldwide,” said Cat Oyler, Vice President, Global Public Health, Tuberculosis, Johnson & Johnson and WiSTEM2D University Sponsor. “This award seeks to showcase the talents of highly-trained female researchers and academic professors, providing support at a pivotal moment in their academic careers, so they can continue to lead STEM2D breakthroughs in the future with limitless opportunities to change the trajectory of health for humanity.”
In order to apply for the 2020 WiSTEM2D Scholars Award, the applicant must:
- Submit a university or school department head letter of recommendation (Each University / Institution can support one applicant per STEM2Ddiscipline; 6 applicants in total.)
- Write 1,000 words detailing the proposed area of research. One additional page can be added for images, or references.
- Submit her resume (three pages, font size 11), including a list of publications, presentations, abstracts, current financial support already obtained, other folio work and two references.
- Submit a brief outline of the budget for proposed research.
For more information and to apply for the 2020 Awards, visit: https://www.jnj.com/wistem2d-university-scholars. To lean more about the most recent winners of this award, visit: https://www.jnj.com/johnson-johnson-announces-winners-of-2019-women-in-stem2d-scholars-award.
About Johnson & Johnson WiSTEM2D
Building a diverse STEM2D community is one approach Johnson & Johnson is taking as part of a broader effort to accelerate the development of women leaders and support women at all stages of their life to improve global health and well-being and drive sustainable economic growth. Johnson & Johnson launched the WiSTEM2D (Women in Science, Technology, Math, Manufacturing and Design) program in 2015 to increase the representation of women in science and technical fields. The program’s multifaceted approach is designed to engage females at three pivotal development stages in their lives:
- Youth Programs (Ages 5 to 18 years): Johnson & Johnson is partnering with organizations to align curriculum in schools, augment program-based learning and engage Johnson & Johnson employees around the world as mentors to students.
- University Talent: Johnson & Johnson is partnering with leading academic institutions to develop high-impact strategies for increasing the number of women enrolling in and graduating with STEM2D programs and degrees. At the graduate level, Johnson & Johnson has implemented to STEM2D Scholars Award to increase the number of women pursuing research in STEM2D fields.
- Professionals: Johnson & Johnson is identifying and implementing best practices for attracting and retaining the world’s best technical female talent in STEM2D careers.
About Johnson & Johnson
At Johnson & Johnson, we believe good health is the foundation of vibrant lives, thriving communities and forward progress. That’s why for more than 130 years, we have aimed to keep people well at every age and every stage of life. Today, as the world’s largest and most broadly-based health care company, we are committed to using our reach and size for good. We strive to improve access and affordability, create healthier communities, and put a healthy mind, body and environment within reach of everyone, everywhere. We are blending our heart, science and ingenuity to profoundly change the trajectory of health for humanity.